The Waitangi Day Activities Pack - For Your Classroom
The team here at Extra! have put together the perfect activities pack to use in your classroom this upcoming Waitangi Day:
Here are some of our ideas for more activities that you might like to try out in your classroom to complement your lesson plans on Waitangi Day events:
Write a brief biography of some important people involved with the signing of Te Tiriti o Waitangi such as Governor William Hobson, James Busby, Hone Heke, Henry Williams (translator), Te Rangitopeora at Kapiti, Kahe Te Rau-o-te-Rangi at Wellington and Ana Hamu at Waitangi.
Watch this video by clicking below (Source: Youtube)
3. Print out a map of New Zealand and plot the places that Maori chiefs visited to sign the treaty.
4. Explore the Te Ara website and discuss with your class.
5. Create a storyboard visually outlining the time-line leading up to the signing of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
7. Make some recycled paper and write your classroom treaty on this with a calligraphy pen or water colour pencils.
8. Watch a news clip on Waitangi Day celebrations and report back to the class with a written report of your own covering questions Why, Where, When, What and How?
If you have any other ideas feel free to comment, we would love to know! Remember to share these ideas with your colleagues!
Remember that Extra! subscriptions are due in next week (February 11), if you haven’t done so yet, fill in the form below to subscribe your school to the Premier Current Events Programme.